Groundbreaking of new St. Peter School, 1957. Archive photo
Groundbreaking of new St. Peter School, 1957. Archive photo


1880 – Provincial Chapter of Franciscans seeks a foundation for the Order of Friars Minor Conventual (Conventual Franciscans) on New Jersey Coast.

March 7, 1881 – Father Peter Jachetti takes a train from Trenton, falls asleep and misses his transfer. He lands in Point Pleasant Beach and decides that it would be a perfect home for the mission.

1923-24 – Bishop Thomas Walsh decides to have a school built in Point Pleasant Beach, staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Philadelphia. St. Peter School opens in 1924 as the first Catholic school in Ocean County with 60 pupils.

1948 – The Sisters of the Holy Union, Sacred Heart Province, from Fall River, Mass., begin teaching in St. Peter School and occupy a new convent near the parish, remaining there for 22 years.

1956-1957 – A capital campaign is launched for construction of a $417,000 new school building with 16 classrooms and a large cafeteria. The cornerstone is laid March 31, 1957; building ensues, and the school is opened for classes in September. Dedication of the school by Bishop George W. Ahr takes place Oct. 6, 1957.

1962 – Auditorium and gymnasium are dedicated. The building doubles as a place of worship in summer to alleviate crowded conditions.

1970 – The Sisters of St. Joseph of Chestnut Hill, Pa., are invited to assume teaching and administrative duties at St. Peter School.

2007 – The school opens its new science lab.

Sept. 28, 2016 – St. Peter School is named a 2016 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.

Feb. 2020 –, a national advocate and leader for character in schools, families, sports teams, and the workplace today designates St. Peter School as a School of Character - the only school in Ocean County to be granted this designation.

2020 – St. Peter School recognized as State School of Character

2021 – The school’s Our Lady of Fatima Chapel is dedicated. Created by Father Pedro DeOliveriera, the chapel includes relics from two of the three children from Fatima, Portugal.

Past Principals:

Dominican Sister Mary Dominic – 1924-35

Dominican Sister Mary Aquinas – 1935-49

Sister of the Holy Union Paul Elizabeth – 1949-58

Sister of the Holy Union Mother John Francis – 1958-70

St. Joseph Sister Francis Gervase – 1970-76

St. Joseph Sister Agnes Mercedes – 1976-82

St. Joseph Sister Josephine Wade – 1982-88

St. Joseph Sister Karen Washabaugh – 1988-93

St. Joseph Sister Phyliss Tracey – 1993-2006

Ms. Kathleen Berlino 2006-2016

Mrs. Tracey Kobrin 2016-present


July 30 – 1 p.m. Centennial Celebration baseball game at the Lakewood Blue Claws, 2 Stadium Way, Lakewood; for tickets, visit

Oct. 28-29 – Centennial Jubilee Alumni Weekend; Alumni night Oct. 28 in SPS gym with student-led tours, memorabilia from past century on display

Oct. 29 – 10:30 a.m. Mass celebrated by Bishop David M. O’Connell, C.M., followed by luncheon in school; all are welcome

Nov. 29 – Jubilee Centennial Benefit production of “Scrooge” in Spring Lake Theatre

December – Jubilee-themed Christmas pageant, with entire student body participating, including Live Nativity

Jubilee website: