Federal judge: Rules restricting DACA program were invalid

November 16, 2020 at 7:43 p.m.
Federal judge: Rules restricting DACA program were invalid
Federal judge: Rules restricting DACA program were invalid

Carol Zimmermann

WASHINGTON – A federal judge ruled Nov. 14 that the suspension of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, announced this past summer by the Department of Homeland Security, was invalid because the agency's top official, Chad Wolf, did not legally hold his position when he issued the order.

Judge Nicholas Garaufis, of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, said Wolf's appointment violated the Homeland Security Act of 2002 and the agency "failed to follow the order of succession as it was lawfully designated."

DHS has said that Wolf's appointment, which has not yet been confirmed by the Senate, is legal.

In July, Wolf issued a memorandum rejecting first-time applications for DACA, as the program is known, and limiting DACA renewals to one-year extensions instead of two.

In a Nov. 15 tweet about judge's decision, Hope Border Institute said: "When it comes to immigration, nothing's undermined the rule of law as much as the Trump administration and the Department of Homeland Security."

After Wolf's memo was issued, faith leaders and immigrant advocates were highly critical of it. Leaders of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops said they were "deeply disappointed" by it, and Bishop Jaime Soto of Sacramento, California, said it was "irresponsible and recalcitrant."
[[In-content Ad]]

The memo was issued more than a month after the Supreme Court ruled against efforts by the Trump administration to end DACA. President-elect Joe Biden plans to reinstate DACA and he also is expected to use executive orders to reverse other immigration policies of President Donald Trump.

DACA, a 2012 program started by President Barack Obama, has enabled about 700,000 qualifying young people to work, go to college, get health insurance and a driver's license and not face deportation. These young adults were brought to the U.S. as children by their parents without legal documentation.

Wolf had said the Trump administration may try to end DACA by looking at it as a law enforcement issue potentially contributing to illegal immigration. He also had described his action as a temporary change while the federal government reviewed next steps.

Karen Tumlin, a lawyer who represented a plaintiff in one of the lawsuits challenging Wolf's order, said the judge's ruling was "another win for DACA recipients and those who have been waiting years to apply for the program for the first time."

She also tweeted Nov. 16 that a hearing will take place Nov. 18 to discuss what happens next.

The biggest impact of Wolf's memo would have been on new DACA applicants.

Attorneys for the Catholic Legal Immigration Network, known as CLINIC, have said about 60,000 young people now over age 15 would qualify for DACA status, and the agency had been urging young people to get their paperwork together and seek legal advice about the program since the Supreme Court ruled in June that DACA would remain in place.

"The new limits outlined in the administration's memorandum directly and negatively impact immigrant youth, their families, and the communities we serve," said a July 30 statement by Archbishop José H. Gomez of Los Angeles, USCCB president, and Auxiliary Bishop Mario E. Dorsonville of Washington, chairman of the USCCB's Committee on Migration.

Bishop Soto, chairman of the board of CLINIC, criticized Wolf's timing in issuing the order in the middle of a pandemic. He said it signified a return "to the same callous posture, against which the court has already decided."

He also said the move would "aggravate the afflictions of many DACA recipients and aspirants, a significant portion of whom are essential workers" who are keeping vital parts of the economy running during the pandemic.

Follow Zimmermann on Twitter: @carolmaczim


Related Stories

WASHINGTON – A federal judge ruled Nov. 14 that the suspension of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, announced this past summer by the Department of Homeland Security, was invalid because the agency's top official, Chad Wolf, did not legally hold his position when he issued the order.

Judge Nicholas Garaufis, of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, said Wolf's appointment violated the Homeland Security Act of 2002 and the agency "failed to follow the order of succession as it was lawfully designated."

DHS has said that Wolf's appointment, which has not yet been confirmed by the Senate, is legal.

In July, Wolf issued a memorandum rejecting first-time applications for DACA, as the program is known, and limiting DACA renewals to one-year extensions instead of two.

In a Nov. 15 tweet about judge's decision, Hope Border Institute said: "When it comes to immigration, nothing's undermined the rule of law as much as the Trump administration and the Department of Homeland Security."

After Wolf's memo was issued, faith leaders and immigrant advocates were highly critical of it. Leaders of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops said they were "deeply disappointed" by it, and Bishop Jaime Soto of Sacramento, California, said it was "irresponsible and recalcitrant."
[[In-content Ad]]

The memo was issued more than a month after the Supreme Court ruled against efforts by the Trump administration to end DACA. President-elect Joe Biden plans to reinstate DACA and he also is expected to use executive orders to reverse other immigration policies of President Donald Trump.

DACA, a 2012 program started by President Barack Obama, has enabled about 700,000 qualifying young people to work, go to college, get health insurance and a driver's license and not face deportation. These young adults were brought to the U.S. as children by their parents without legal documentation.

Wolf had said the Trump administration may try to end DACA by looking at it as a law enforcement issue potentially contributing to illegal immigration. He also had described his action as a temporary change while the federal government reviewed next steps.

Karen Tumlin, a lawyer who represented a plaintiff in one of the lawsuits challenging Wolf's order, said the judge's ruling was "another win for DACA recipients and those who have been waiting years to apply for the program for the first time."

She also tweeted Nov. 16 that a hearing will take place Nov. 18 to discuss what happens next.

The biggest impact of Wolf's memo would have been on new DACA applicants.

Attorneys for the Catholic Legal Immigration Network, known as CLINIC, have said about 60,000 young people now over age 15 would qualify for DACA status, and the agency had been urging young people to get their paperwork together and seek legal advice about the program since the Supreme Court ruled in June that DACA would remain in place.

"The new limits outlined in the administration's memorandum directly and negatively impact immigrant youth, their families, and the communities we serve," said a July 30 statement by Archbishop José H. Gomez of Los Angeles, USCCB president, and Auxiliary Bishop Mario E. Dorsonville of Washington, chairman of the USCCB's Committee on Migration.

Bishop Soto, chairman of the board of CLINIC, criticized Wolf's timing in issuing the order in the middle of a pandemic. He said it signified a return "to the same callous posture, against which the court has already decided."

He also said the move would "aggravate the afflictions of many DACA recipients and aspirants, a significant portion of whom are essential workers" who are keeping vital parts of the economy running during the pandemic.

Follow Zimmermann on Twitter: @carolmaczim

Have a news tip? Email [email protected] or Call/Text 360-922-3092

e-Edition


e-edition

Sign up


for our email newsletters

Weekly Top Stories

Sign up to get our top stories delivered to your inbox every Sunday

Daily Updates & Breaking News Alerts

Sign up to get our daily updates and breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox daily

Latest Stories


Marie Miller takes music and faith to new level in 'Woman'
A young singer-songwriter in Nashville, Tennessee, is taking her music...

Our Lady of Guadalupe encourages me to be an authentic model of faith
I have a unique relationship with Mary.

Africa's need for 'loss, damage' funds to combat climate change effects called urgent
Jere Mirhichan recently stood near the wooden fence of his flooded homestead

Pope, Council of Cardinals discussed the role of women in the church
With the input of two women and a priest, Pope Francis....

Hospital close to Christ's birthplace in Bethlehem struggles to operate amid war
The Holy Family Hospital in Bethlehem, located just 1,500 steps...


The Evangelist, 40 North Main Ave., Albany, NY, 12203-1422 | PHONE: 518-453-6688| FAX: 518-453-8448
© 2023 Trenton Monitor, All Rights Reserved.