A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated March 25 in Our Lady of Peace Residence, Scranton, Pa., for Immaculate Heart of Mary Sister M. Thelma Gutt, who died March 21.
Born Feb. 2, 1915, in Renovo, Pa., Sister Thelma entered the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary congregation Sept. 8, 1933; made her temporary profession of vows April 30, 1936, and her final profession of vows Aug. 2, 1939.
She held a bachelor’s degree in education from Marywood College, Scranton, Pa.
Sister Thelma served in the ministry of education for nearly 50 years, teaching and serving as principal in schools in New York, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and New Jersey.
In the Trenton Diocese, Sister Thelma taught in Sacred Heart School, Mount Holly, from 1984 to 1989.
Other positions she held in several parishes and hospitals included as a catechist, an accounting assistant and as a director of religious education.
Sister Thelma is survived by two sisters, a sister-in-law and nieces and nephews.
Burial was in St. Catherine’s Cemetery, Moscow, Pa.
Memorial contributions may be made to support the retired Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters, c/o the IHM Sisters Retirement Fund, IHM Center, 2300 Adams Ave., Scranton, Pa. 18509.[[In-content Ad]]