Following is a listing of Lenten events and programs planned in and around the Diocese of Trenton. Check back for more updates throughout the season.
Parish mission to be held in Seaside Heights
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, Seaside Heights, will hold a Lenten parish mission 7 p.m. Feb. 19, 20 and 21 at 100 Grant Ave.
Guest speaker will be Franciscan Father Dennis Mason from the Shrine of St. Anthony, Ellicott City, Md. For information, call 732-793-6881.
Sister Marie Pappas to lead Lenten program in Howell
St. Veronica Parish, Howell, will host a Lenten journey presented by Resurrectionists Sister Marie Pappas each evening at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 18 to 21 at 4215 Highway 9 North.
The theme “A Lenten Journey with Mary and Jesus,” will cover the following topics: Feb. 18, “Consider the message of Our Lady of Fatima”; Feb. 19, “How to Suffer and How to Trust: the Agony and Scourging of Jesus”; Feb. 20, “The Mind, Motivation, and Merit of Jesus’ suffering: the “Crowning” of Jesus and our benefit” (Confessions), and Feb. 21, “What to do when we are helpless – Love’s answer! Jesus carries His Cross and is crucified.”
For information, call 732-363-4200.
Parish, school to present ‘A Time of Grace’ in Medford
A Lenten mission-retreat presented by St. Mary of the Lakes Parish and School, Medford, will be held from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Feb. 18 to 20 in the church at 40 Jackson Road.
The keynote speaker will be John Leonetti, a nationally known Catholic speaker, best-selling author and radio host.
The retreat will provide the opportunity to recharge one’s faith, slow down and relax, so an inner change can occur – the ongoing conversion of the heart that is critical to deepening one’s faith.
For information, call the parish office at 609-654-8208, ext. 110.
Lenten retreats offered by spiritual center
Francis House Diocesan Spiritual Center, Rancocas, will hold several Lenten retreats at 30 Springside Road.
• An Ash Wednesday retreat, “The Impact of God,” will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Feb. 14. Iain Matthew’s “The Impact of God” will be the focus and inspiration for the practices of prayer, almsgiving and fasting for the six-week journey.
• The retreat will include Mass with the reception of ashes. The cost is $35 and includes lunch and book.
From 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Feb. 16, “Making Room for God: The Beauty of the Desert” will be held. Blessed Charles De Foucauld is best known for his heartfelt “Prayer of Abandonment.” A short DVD of his life will be viewed and each participant will receive the book “Hidden In God: Discovering the Desert Vision of Charles De Foucauld.”
Cost is $35 and includes lunch and book.
• A “Can You Drink This Cup?” retreat will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Feb. 20.
Using the cup as a metaphor, the retreat will reflect on three images – holding, lifting and drinking – to articulate the basics of the spiritual life and help faithful respond to the Lenten call to conversion and transformation into Christ.
A $35 donation includes lunch and a book for the Lenten journey.
• To nourish one’s soul and enhance the Lenten journey, “Soul Searching: The Journey of Thomas Merton” will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Feb. 21. There is a free will offering.
• A “Letters from the Desert” retreat will take time to read the short book of excerpts from our desert fathers of the East, the Church’s first mons and hermits from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 22.
Donation of $35 includes lunch and book.
• “Responding to Suffering: Walking with Jesus to the Cross” will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 23. With the help of Gary Jansen’s book, “Station to Station,” participants will pray the Stations of the Cross with the hope of gradually learning to respond to suffering as Jesus did and see how Christ’s character in the midst of suffering can, with time and prayer, become theirs as well.
Donation of $35 includes lunch and book.
To register for a retreat, call 609-877-0509 or email FHOP@verizon.net.
Neptune spiritual center to hold Lenten retreat
The Upper Room Diocesan Spiritual Center, Neptune, will hold “Toward a Lent Well Spent” from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Feb. 15 at 3455 W. Bangs Avenue, Bldg. 2.
To tune out constant distractions, this retreat allows for a few hours of attention to the spirit at the beginning of Lent to establish new and lasting habits of genuine spirituality.
The presenter is Father Richard Rento, chaplain at Seabrook Village, Tinton Falls.
The cost is $50-$65 and includes a light lunch. To register, call 732-922-0550 or email email@example.com.
Cohort parishes to host Lenten mission
Faith in Our Future Cohort 21 parishes St. Pio of Pietrelcina, Lavallette, Sacred Heart, Bay Head, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Seaside Heights, and St. Catharine of Siena, Seaside Park, will host a Lenten parish mission 7 p.m. each evening from Feb. 19 to 21 in Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, 100 Grant Ave.
The retreat director will be Conventual Father Dennis Mason. All are welcome. For information, call 732-793-6881.
Parish events to be held in Middletown
St. Mary Parish, Middletown, will hold several Lenten events at 19 Cherry Tree Farm Road.
• “The Festival of Praise,” an evening of praise and worship, Adoration, teaching, prayer ministry and fellowship, will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. Feb. 17 and March 17. A children’s ministry is available to assist younger families.
• A parish Lenten mission, “Return with all your Heart” presented by the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, will be held 7 p.m. March 5 and 7.
• “Rooted,” a parish retreat to help people put down roots of faith in Jesus or uproot areas of their lives that do not “bear fruit,” will be held 7 to 9 p.m. March 23 and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. March 24. A children’s ministry is available to assist younger families.
For information or to register, call the parish office at 732-671-0071, ext. 221.
Parish mission set in Holmdel
St. Catharine Parish, Holmdel, will hold the parish mission “Loving God Gladly” from 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 26 to 28 at 108 Middletown Road.
The mission topics are as follows: Feb. 26, “God’s Love in Jesus Brings True Joy!,” mini-mission at Mass, 9 a.m., mission service, 7:30 p.m.; Feb. 27, “God’s Mercy Restores the Joy of Our Youth!,” mini-mission at Mass, 9 a.m., mission Penance service, 7:30 p.m., and Feb. 28, “God’s Healing Brings New Hope!,” mini-mission at Mass, 9 a.m. and mission service 7:30 p.m.
The mission will be conducted by Franciscan Father Kevin Cronin of the Holy Name Province, N.Y., who preaches through parish missions and retreats.
For information, contact Kathy McBurnie at 732-842-3963, ext. 13.
Three-night Lenten parish mission planned
St. Benedict Parish, Holmdel, will hold its 2018 Lenten parish mission at 7 p.m. from March 5 to 7 in the church at 165 Bethany Road.
Paulist Father Dave Dwyer, who is executive director of Busted Halo Ministries, an award-winning publisher of BustedHalo.com, the host of The Busted Halo show with Father Dave, a live daily talk show on SiriusXM radio, co-host of Conversation with Cardinal Dolan on EWTN and host of Sacraments 101 on You Tube will lead the three-night mission preaching event. He will address three important spiritual questions: “Who is Jesus?” “Where is Jesus?” and “Why Jesus?”
For information, call 732-264-4712.
Franciscan Friars of the Renewal in Red Bank
St. Anthony of Padua Parish, Red Bank, will hold a Lenten parish mission with the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal 7 p.m. each evening from March 12 to 15 at 121 Bridge Ave.
There will be two separate sessions happening simultaneously, one in English and one in Spanish each night, in the church and parish hall.
For information, call 732-747-0813.
Parish sets annual Day of Recollection
Sacred Heart Parish, Riverton, will hold its annual Day of Recollection for men and women from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. March 19 at 103 Fourth St.
The day will begin with registration at 9 a.m. followed by morning prayer, Rosary, conferences, Confessions and Mass.
Moderator will be Jesuit Father Richard Gross.
The cost is $25 and includes Continental breakfast and lunch. Pre-paid registration and deadline due by Feb. 28. Checks can be mailed to: Catholic Daughters 2124, c/o Sacred Heart Church, 103 Fourth St., Riverton, NJ 08077, Attn: Marie Russo. For information, call 856-829-0090.
Browns Mills offers Lenten renewal
St. Ann Parish, Browns Mills, will hold a Lenten mission “Lent, What Does the Church Invite us to Be” 7 p.m. Feb. 25 and 7:30 p.m. Feb. 26 to 28 in the church at 22 Trenton Road.
Msgr. Sam Sirianni, rector of St. Robert Bellarmine Co-Cathedral, Freehold, will conduct the mission. He will speak on the following dates and topics: Feb. 25, “Trusting in the Mercy of God”; Feb. 26, “Give to Those in Need”; Feb. 27, “Fasting, Making Space for God” and Feb. 28, “Service, Faith in Action.” Each day there will be Mass at 9 a.m.
A promotional Homily will be at all weekend Masses Feb. 24 and 25. All are welcome. Light refreshments will be available in the parish center following each evening session.
For information, call 609-893-3246.