Sister Appell
Sister Appell

A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated Jan. 9 in Assisi House, Aston, Pa., for Franciscan Sister Margaret Appell, who died Jan. 4. She was 87.

Born in Baltimore, Md., Sister Margaret, the former Sister St. Margaret, entered the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia in 1949 and professed her first vows in 1952. She held a bachelor of science degree in education from Villanova University, Villanova, Pa., and a master of arts in education
administration from The Catholic University of America, Washington. She ministered primarily in elementary education.

During her 34 years of service in the Diocese of Trenton, she taught in St. Rose of Lima School, Freehold, and Holy Angels School, Hamilton. She was principal of Blessed Sacrament School, and Immaculate Conception School, both Trenton, and assistant principal and technology coordinator in St. Mary of the Lakes School, Medford. From 1983 to 1989, she served on the provincial council for the Sisters of St. Francis’ St. Anthony Province, which at the time was based in Trenton, and also served as provincial coordinator of education.

In addition to the Trenton Diocese, Sister Margaret spent 11 years of ministry in the Camden Diocese; 10 years in the Harrisburg Diocese; 12 years in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, and for a short time in the Wilmington Diocese in Delaware. In 2013, she moved to Assisi House, the congregation’s retirement residence in Aston, where she served in prayer and hospitality ministry until her death.

Sister Margaret was survived by a nephew, nieces and her Franciscan family. Burial was in Our Lady of Angels Cemetery, Aston.

Memorial donations may be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Road, Aston, Pa., 19014.