Sister Aletta Dorothy Donahue
Sister Aletta Dorothy Donahue
Franciscan Sister Aletta Dorothy Donahue, formerly Sister Charles Francis, 97, died June 11 in Assisi House, Aston, Pa.

A professed member of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia for 71 years, Sister Dorothy was born in Trenton, a member of Holy Angels Parish (now part of St. Raphael-Holy Angels Parish) and a graduate of Hamilton High School. She entered the congregation in 1946 and professed her first vows in 1949. She earned a bachelor of science degree in education from St. Mary College, Emmitsburg, Md., and ministered primarily in education and received several awards, including the Outstanding Catholic Educator Award from the Diocese of Trenton and the Catholic Educator of the Year Award from the Knights of Columbus.

Sister Aletta Dorothy served for 25 years in the Diocese of Trenton, teaching in St. Raphael School, Hamilton, and later serving in local house ministry in St. Anthony Convent, also in Hamilton. She also spent several years as a caregiver for her mother and sister in Yardville prior to their deaths.

Other archdioceses and dioceses where she served included Wilmington, Baltimore and Washington.

In 2015, Sister Aletta Dorothy moved to Assisi House, the congregation’s retirement residence in Aston, where she served in prayer and hospitality ministry until her death.

Sister Aletta Dorothy is survived by her two brothers, her nieces and nephews and her Franciscan family. Donations in her name can be made to the Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, 609 S. Convent Rd., Aston, Pa. 19014.