In a Eucharistic Procession, Msgr. Roldan carries the monstrance with the Blessed Sacrament to the newly relocated tabernacle which now rests in the center of the cathedral sanctuary. Joe Moore photos

In a Eucharistic Procession, Msgr. Roldan carries the monstrance with the Blessed Sacrament to the newly relocated tabernacle which now rests in the center of the cathedral sanctuary. Joe Moore photos

Msgr. Joseph Roldan and parishioners of St. Mary of the Assumption Cathedral, Trenton, witnessed a milestone in the life of the diocese’s Mother Church, Aug. 14. Following the Mass that was celebrated for the Vigil of the Feast of the Assumption, a Eucharistic procession was held during which Msgr. Roldan carried the Blessed Sacrament to the tabernacle which had been relocated from a side altar to the center of the sanctuary.

When the cathedral was built in 1959, the tabernacle had originally been placed in the center of the sanctuary, but was moved to the side altar in the late 1960s following the Second Vatican Council.

With the transfer of the tabernacle, came other restorations in the sanctuary including the purchase of a new altar table on which the tabernacle now rests; expanding the altar table of sacrifice, and moving the bishop’s cathedra (chair) to the left front side of the sanctuary. The side altar from which the tabernacle was removed is now an altar dedicated to St. Joseph, the husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary and foster father of Jesus.

In the next few years, additional refurbishments are expected to take place in other parts of the cathedral, including repairs to the roof, heating and air conditioning systems, installing an elevator and upgrades to the cathedral dining hall and restrooms.

An expanded story and video from the Vigil Mass and Eucharistic procession to come. Click here to see gallery of photos