Sister Eleanor O’Connell
Sister Eleanor O’Connell
St. Joseph Sister Eleanor O’Connell, who served for 31 years as a pastoral associate in St. Joan of Arc Parish, Marlton, died Sept. 12. She was 85.

Sister Eleanor, formerly Sister Helena, entered the Sisters St. Joseph in 1954, and two years later began her ministry as a Catholic school educator in 1956. She taught and served as principal in grammar schools in the Archdioceses of Philadelphia and Newark as well as in the Dioceses of Harrisburg and Camden. Her first assignment in the Trenton Diocese was St. Rose High School, Belmar, where she served from 1983 to 1984. Then after an assignment as campus minister in Chestnut Hill College, Chestnut Hill, Pa., Sister Eleanor redirected her efforts from school ministry to parish ministry when she joined the staff of St. Joan of Arc Parish where she coordinated adult faith opportunities for parishioners including the bereavement ministry, Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, Scripture studies and a seniors group.

Sister Eleanor was predeceased by her parents and four siblings. She is survived by nieces, nephews, grandnieces, grandnephews and members of the Sisters of St. Joseph community.

Memorial donations may be made to St. Joseph Villa, 110 W. Wissahickon Ave., Flourtown, Pa., 19031.