The Catholic University of America, Washington, which remains the only institution of higher education founded by the U.S. bishops, will benefit from a national collection taken the weekend of Sept. 7-8 during all Masses.

Chartered by the Vatican in 1887 by Pope Leo, CUA’s 12 schools and 23 research centers will benefit from the collection, providing Catholic education of substance and quality to nearly 7,000 students a year. Programs that include social service, Catholic bioethics and ethical business practices assure that students have the opportunity to learn a perspective that aligns with Catholic Church teaching, and allows them to respond to the multitude of challenges facing both the Church and modern society.

CUA educates hundreds of priests, brothers, sisters and seminarians annually through its national seminary and other programs; approximately 12,000 alumni currently serve the Church as priests or in religious vocations.

Parishioners of the Diocese of Trenton contributed $114,727 to the annual CUA collection in 2018, making possible the education of thousands of students.

After earning a licentiate at CUA in 1987 and a doctor of canon law degree in 1990, Bishop David M. O’Connell, C.M., went on to serve as CUA’s 14th president for 12 years, from 1998 to 2010. From there, he was appointed coadjutor bishop of the Diocese of Trenton by Pope Benedict XVI.